Money Earned Today: 10 Money Earned Total: 130
Today and tommorow are finals for my classes at school. Today I had choir, AP Calculus AB, and AP Chemistry. Now, most of them are okay. The only problem is with chemistry. The order of classes is supposed to go Chemistry, then AP Chemistry. Well, nobody told me that, so I'm in the AP Chem class, and I haven't taken regular chemistry yet. The biggest issue that I have is with the ions (atoms with charge). I can never remeber what the number of oxygens are and the charges. I also have issues with the solubility rules (when an atom will dissolve in water). So, last night, I realized that I remember the best through anagrams. So I came up with one for the ions, and the solubility rules. The first is really weird, so bear with me.
Ask C2H3O2- (Acetate)
Perry O2-2 (Peroxide)
Crabs CO3-2 (Carbonate)
Can ClO3- (Chlorate)
Mom MnO3- (Manganate)
kNit No3- (Nitrate)
Corpses CrO4-2 (Chromate)
Socks SO4-3 (Sulfate)
After ArO4-3 (Arsenate)
Parties PO4-3 (Phosphate)
Yes, I know, it's kind of creepy. What do you expect, it was 8 o'clock at night. Give me a break. I promise the rest of them aren't that creepy. They might be just as weird, though. The next one isn't actually an anagram, but it still helps me remember which of the ions are soluable.
N N03- (Nitrates are soluable)
A C2H3O2- (Acetates are soluable, except for Ag+)
C ClO3- (Chlorates are soluable)
C Cl- (Chlorides are soluable, except for Ag+, Pb+2, and Hg+2)
B Br- (Bromides are soluable, except for Ag+, Pb+2, Hg2+2, and Hg+2)
I I- (Iodides are soluable, with the same exceptions as Bromides)
S S04-3 (Sulfates are soluable, except for Ag+, Pb+2, Hg2+2, Hg+2, Ca+2, and Sr+2)
Those are the ones that are soluable. These are the basic rules. It's the exceptions that make it hard, and I'm still not sure that I have those down. The next are the ones that are INsoluable. They all have a few exceptions. They will seperate if combined with an element from the first column of the periodic table, or if combined with Ammonium. This one is actually an anagram.
Crabs C03-2 (Carbonates are insoluable)
Can CrO4-2 (Chromates are insoluable, except for Ca+2 and Sr+2)
Hop OH- (Hydroxides are soluable)
Please P04-3 (Phosphates are soluable)
Step SO3-3 (Sulfates are soluable, except for Ca+2, Sr+2, and Ba+2)
Sideways S-2 (Sulfides are soluable, except for elements in column 2)
Yeah, so that's what I came up with. It totally helped. And now you probably think I'm crazy. Just, don't use this as the all our guide, because I'm not even sure I got them all right just then. Anyway, more studying tonight, except this time for German. What a busy life I lead . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment